|Company Secretary and Group General Counsel - London|
|The Economist Group|
The Economist Group is the leading source of analysis on international business and world affairs. It delivers information through a range of formats, from newspapers and magazines to conferences and electronic services.
What ties the Group together is the objectivity of its opinion, the originality of its insight and its advocacy of economic and political freedom around the world.
The Economist Group now wishes to appoint a general counsel and company secretary to be based in central London.
The focus of the role is to provide legal guidance and support to The Economist Group worldwide, to help it execute its commercial and corporate strategy, to protect its intellectual property rights and to protect the Group against legal risk. The appointee will be company secretary to The Economist Group, in particular supporting the Board, management committee and other committees as well as the Group’s trustees, and will oversee all other company secretarial matters.
The role will encompass
• Managing and advising on any litigation and claims against the Group
• Providing legal advice on any project or corporate venture
• Drawing up, reviewing and negotiating contracts
• Developing and managing relationships with external legal advisers and drawing on their
advice where necessary
• Acting as a sounding board for the Group
• Protecting the Group’s brands
• Overall responsibility for managing share registrars and ESOP, corporate filings and reports for all UK and overseas companies in The Economist Group
• Setting the agendas, attending and minuting Board, management and other committee meetings
Applications are invited from lawyers who have been qualified for at least ten years, have already worked in house and who have demonstrable company secretarial and management experience. Of prime importance is flexibility of approach and the proven ability to work across cultures, as this is a truly international business.
Please contact our retained consultants, Deborah Kirkman, Sonya Rayner or Nicola McLean at Chambers and Partners, 39-41 Parker Street, London WC2B 5PQ.
Tel: +44 (0)20 7778 1606
E-mail: Cosec@chambersandpartners.co.uk www.chambersrecruitment.com
The Economist Group values diversity. We are committed to equal opportunities and creating an inclusive environment for all our employees. We welcome applicants regardless of ethnic origin, gender, religious beliefs, disability, sexual orientation or age.
The Economist requests no direct contact from other agencies or applicants. All third party enquiries will be sent to Chambers and Partners.
Apply for this job:
For further information on this role or to apply, please contact:
- Deborah Kirkman - 020 7778 1606
- Sonya Rayner - 020 7778 1635
- Nicola Smith - 020 7778 1621
Or email the Company Secretarial Recruitment Team at: firstname.lastname@example.org.